Using your YubiKey with Facebook
With hardware security keys, you can get the additional protection of two-factor authentication to make your login procedure secure. Follow these step-by-step instructions to easily set up a U2F security key to work with your Facebook accounts.
- A computer with a USB port and the latest version of one of the next browsers:
- Google Chrome (version 38 or later).
- Mozilla Firefox (version 60 or later).
- Opera (version 40 or later).
- U2F-enabled security key: Security Key, Security Key NFC, YubiKey 5 NFC, YubiKey 5C, YubiKey 5/5C Nano, YubiKey FIPS,
YubiKey Nano FIPS, YubiKey C FIPS, YubiKey C Nano FIPS
- A Facebook account
Setting up a YubiKey with a Facebook account
- On a computer, use Chrome, Firefox, or Opera to sign in to your Facebook account.
- Click icon Settings and account, then choose Settings.
- In the left pane, select Security & Login.
- To the right of the Use two-factor authentication section, click Edit.
- If two-factor authentication is not configured yet, click Get Started. Or if two-factor authentication is on, then skip to Step 7.
- Select the most convenient method of one-time password authentication.
- To the right of Security Key, click Settings.
- Plug a YubiKey into a USB port, when the YubiKey starts to blink, tap the button or golden edge on the YubiKey.
- Enter a name for the security key, then click Continue, and then click Done.
- If you need to set up additional YubiKeys, click Add New Security Key, then repeat steps 7-8 until all keys have been registered.
Note: Facebook requires you to provide your phone number in order to be able to send you SMS with OTPs as a fallback authentication method.
Other Useful Resources
- Your security key can be used with other websites while also being used for your Facebook account. See the Support section in the top menu.
- If you’re having trouble adding or using your security key, try clearing your cache and temporary data. Also try restarting your computer or mobile device.
- If you’re running Linux, you’ll need to follow this additional step to use your security key.
- If you want to opt out of SMS as an authentication method, you can instead use the Security Key and Code Generator with your Facebook account.
- For now, you can use your security key to sign in to Facebook from a computer, a compatible mobile browser, or an NFC-enabled mobile device*.
See the comparison chart for available security keys.
* NFC compatible security key — YubiKey 5 NFC.